Monday, March 31, 2014

God's Mercy in Ingrula

Last week I was able to go with the community on mission to a remote village called Ingrula. The people were very simple and extremely sincere in their faith. We were able to celebrate the feast day of the community (Annunciation) with them. They had a huge nearly all-night vigil where they sang and prayed. They got Mass, which, for a mountain village, is rare. We visited several families in the village. This involved A LOT of hiking as the village is built on two side of a steep ravine and the houses are spread apart. From the top of the village to the bottom there is probably a 1000-foot difference. And then you have to hike up to other side!

For me, it was a beautiful week. It helped remind me of how blessed I am to be here. The generosity of the people astounded me. At nearly every house they gave us eggs because they wanted us to have them to take back and share. It was incredible. I could see God in so many places: nature, the people, the adorable great-grandmother that kept asking us if we knew her grandchildren in the United States, the children, my team members that stepped out of their comfort zones to serve during the week...the list goes on and on.

The biggest lesson for me, though, was how God is merciful and answers our prayers even about the little things. We had hiked over two hours to reach another village for the day. It was time to return to Ingrula, but we were WAY behind schedule. We also had to climb up and over a huge mountain. Usually, I like being outside and hiking, but after doing so much already, I do not honestly know if I would have made it. I said a little prayer for help and God sent me a bus. We were able to take the 3:00 bus to the turn-off for our village. From there, it was still an hour hike, but downhill.

At the end of the week we were supposed to hike to the main turn-off for our village to be picked up there in the car. What had taken us an hour to hike down the day before now had to be climbed, with backpacks, guitars, sleeping bags and the suitcase full of random supplies. To make matters worse, the first mile or so was literally straight up the mountain with not even switchbacks to helps you out. I said another little prayer that we would not have to climb. As we were preparing to load a mule with at least some of our things, we heard the most wonderful sound...our car had come to pick us up.

These things, at the time, seemed so small. Why should I ask God for that? But He answered. He pays attention to the little details and uses them to show His mercy and love.


No comments:

Post a Comment