Friday, July 30, 2010

The Final Week :(

This week was pretty laid back compared with the last. There were two mission teams in the mountains, but several of us stayed behind at the house. I did not do anything “exciting” this week (cooking, pulling weeds, dishes) but there were still lessons to be learned about finding God in the everyday activities. It is interesting that He had to bring me to another country in order to learn those lessons.

On a different note, I am starting to prepare to wrap up my time here. Next Thursday I will be heading home. I have mixed feelings. On one hand, I am excited to see my family, but on the other, I will be sad to leave this community. Also, negative aspects of American culture that filter into the mountain villages and our barrio (neighborhood) are frustrating enough. The remote aldeas without electricity and TV have a certain innocent joy and natural virtue. I don’t really want to face the fullness of American consumerism and individualism, but ready or not, here I come.

4 comments:

  1. Jamie:

    We are looking forward to seeing you again. Thank you for sharing your experience with us by blogging.

    The Vankats

    ReplyDelete
  2. I also enjoy reading your blog. Even though we have not seen you in a long time. We think of you often and was nice to read your blog. Take care and have a safe trip back home.
    Minnesota Friends from Worthington. The Rolphs.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I know America seems pretty bad to you right now but you've got to realize that there is so much good going on here too.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Jamie, thanks for sharing your Honduras experience and reflection with us here in the US! We can't wait to see you however, I completely understand how sad you feel leaving the place you have learned so much about and learned to love. Honduras will always have a special part in your heart! Take care and God bless.

    Micie

    ReplyDelete