Tuesday, July 13, 2010

La gente es muy generosa.

Last week was spent at an aldea in the mountains called Las Majadas. Each day we put on a child, youth, and adult program for the people of the church there. In this way, it was kind of like vacation Bible school, only in Spanish.

One of the things that really amazed me was the generosity of the people. They have absolutely nothing by American standards and live with the reality that if something happens, they will loose all that they do have. For example, a little boy almost broke his leg while we were in the aldea. If he had, it would have meant that his family would have had to pay a month’s worth of wages just to get to the city to visit a doctor. The people really do have nothing, but they give their all. They fed us chicken (which pretty much only happens on Christmas). The delegate (person in charge of the parish while the priest is absent) did not work for an entire week. The delegate’s children gave up their mattresses so we had something to sleep on without prompting from their parents. I felt unworthy of such generosity.

2 comments:

  1. Hi Jamie,

    I finally figured out how to log in so I could comment on your blog. It sounds like you are having an amazing journey in Honduras and in Christ. I am so thankful to be able to share it in a small way through your blog.

    Sabrina broke her arm the weekend after we had dinner at your house riding her dirt bike. She had surgery and has pins holding it together while it heals and cannot use her left hand/arm at all. It has been a lesson in humility for her having to ask for help for everything and patience since she can't do most of the things she loves this summer.

    We are so thankful for medicine and healthcare so that she can get the care she needs. I don't understand why we can have so much in some countries and not figure out how to share what we have so everyone at least has there basic needs met. In the book Mountains Beyond Mountains, the love, generosity, and desparate living situations of the poor in Haiti before the earthquake is told similar to your blog.

    Anyway, I will continue to hold you in my prayers and all of the children you are working with that their lives may be touched in a special way through Christ.

    Love,
    Kelli

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hey Jamie! I haven't been sure if I am able to comment, but I'm finally going to try it out. I have loved reading through your blog, and it sounds like you have been having some amazing experiences. I cannot wait to hear more! I'm excited to see you again, although it seems like so far away. You are, have been, and will continue to be in my prayers! Love ya girl!
    ~Kayla

    ReplyDelete