Friday, December 14, 2012

Nuestra Señora

It has been a very Marian week to say the least (and not just my struggling to read and actually understand True Devotion by Montfort). But, since Our Lady simply leads us to Christ, it is a wonderful thing that she has been so present this week!

Last Saturday was the feast of the Immaculate Conception. It was a wonderful day and everyone was back from the mission to celebrate. A couple of the Friars decided to have a procession in honor of Our Lady. These are very common throughout Latin America and I had seen and participated in a large one while in Antigua. The Friars invited us to come along so a couple of us did. Our procession was rather small, but beautiful. Yes, walking around the neighborhood singing songs to Mary seems a little crazy (and I felt a little crazy at the time), but by the end, I had managed to move beyond my comfort zone in order to see the beauty of what was happening. A woman ending up joining us near the beginning, but it was only after the procession that she told us her story. Immediately before we stopped in front of her house, she had been praying to Mary for the health of a sick baby in the family and had been worried and crying. She told us that when we came, she knew that God had answered her prayers, through the intercession of Mary. It is amazing how God works!

Then we had the feast of Our Lady of Guadalupe this Wednesday. Again, it was a joyful celebration. And for me, it was a reminder of why I am here and that this is where God has called me to be at this time in my life. It was exactly three years ago Wednesday that I began to seriously consider coming to Honduras for that first summer. The rest is history, but it has always been Mary, under the title Our Lady of Guadalupe, that has guided me to follow her Son here.

Mary, Mother of God, pray for us!

No comments:

Post a Comment